Saint John Don Bosco:

"Never read books you aren't sure about . . . even supposing that these bad books are very well written from a literary point of view. Let me ask you this: Would you drink something you knew was poisoned just because it was offered to you in a golden cup?"




To find more books by your favorite author, click on the author's name in the title...

Also, try searching by "historical fiction" if you're looking for novels at a certain time period...

Saturday, July 30, 2011

Revision for Every Soul a Star

I have to add a revision to this book. When I read it, I noticed the character, Jack, learned something from his stepfather called “lucid dreaming.” It’s where he tries to control his dreams while still in a sleep-awake state so that he can experience “flying.” It struck me as a bit odd, but I attributed it to being aware of that sleep-awake state that we all experience and didn’t know what else to make of it.

However, I just listened to Matthew Arnold talk on the New Age Movement. (another great CD from Lighthouse Media, BTW). This kind of dreaming now sounds like it could be what Matthew describes as a New-Age practice called “Vivid Dreaming” which comes to us from the problematic Jungian psychology.

I think it worth a caution for Catholic parents who are rightly worried about the New-Age movement.

Also, I recommend Matthew’s CD for all Catholic parents… Sharon Lee Giganti introduced me to the New-Age movement amd Matthew’s CD concurred with all she said. These are both excellent speakers; I'm grateful for their work.

SAFETY RATING: 2 FlAGS

4 comments:

Nancy Piccione August 3, 2011 at 3:58 PM  

Thanks for the heads-up on this. I've revised my mini-review of Every Soul a Star to reflect this. Good for discussion.

kim August 3, 2011 at 6:18 PM  

It might be the kind of thing that a tween would pass right over. Then again, it lingered with me as a bit odd, and I'm inclined to think there is something to it.
This helped my 15 yr. old and I to have an excellent (and maybe overdue) conversation about the New Age, so the book was a good read overall for us.
I'd love to see all Catholic parents gain more knowledge about the New Age movement whether they read the book or not...
Thanks for the feedback!

Marcia August 4, 2011 at 8:17 PM  

Thanks for the update. My 11 year old was not impressed with this book. It's returning itself to the library. :)

Anonymous,  August 5, 2011 at 10:07 PM  

my 11 yr. old liked it OK. It would be interesting to get a review from them.... If yours ever wants to write a review, we can post it here! Kim

Post a Comment

regina was here

  © Blogger templates Psi by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008