Saint John Don Bosco:

"Never read books you aren't sure about . . . even supposing that these bad books are very well written from a literary point of view. Let me ask you this: Would you drink something you knew was poisoned just because it was offered to you in a golden cup?"




To find more books by your favorite author, click on the author's name in the title...

Also, try searching by "historical fiction" if you're looking for novels at a certain time period...

Sunday, April 18, 2010

The Last Thing I Remember by Andrew Klavan

This book is one of my finds-of-the-year. (The Dickasons found it for me). Thanks, guys.

Now others can be thankful because another boy-friendly book has arrived on the scene: adventure, chase, bad guys, and karate heroes. My girls and I ate it up. The author is friendly to religion and loves his country. He might want to start writing college texts. Never mind; he’s too talented.

Our 17 yr. old hero goes to bed in his cozy home and wakes up strapped into a chair where it becomes quickly clear that he has been a victim of torture. How something can happen this rapidly is explained by memory loss: one year of his life is lost in his brain.

But he manages to escape, get to the good guys, only to find that they consider him a murderer. He was convicted of the murder of his former best friend. He has to dodge the clutches of the cops to clear his good name, only to find that in addition to the good guys being after him, so are the terrorists who were originally torturing him. In fact, confronting one of them face-to-face, he finds that at least a few terrorists consider him to be one of them!

In all the mayhem, there is some degree of violence. I still give it a solid safety rating because it is not gratuitous or graphic. It’s subdued considering the context and age-appropriate unless your child has never played a video game or seen much television. I would consider the ax-scene in Where the Red Fern Grows to be more disturbing than the blood-involved scenes in here.

SAFETY RATING: 3 Flags

3 comments:

Nancy Piccione June 8, 2010 at 4:48 AM  

First, let me just say thanks for the review of this exciting book! The older ones at our house enjoyed it greatly, and we've recommended it to older cousins.

Second, I wanted to let you know I featured your blog on the Catholic Post Book Group.

http://catholicbookgroup.blogspot.com/2010/06/teen-tuesday-good-resource-for-tween.html

As you can see, I really enjoy and appreciate your site! Thanks for all your reviews.

Tween Lit Crit June 8, 2010 at 3:03 PM  

Thanks, Nancy. Now that I am done moving, this is the perfect nudge to encourage me to get back to reviewing.

Nancy Piccione June 15, 2010 at 2:01 PM  

Thanks! I enjoy and share your reviews often with others. I always like new ones but it's great to have the digest you have going here.

Post a Comment

regina was here

  © Blogger templates Psi by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008