Saint John Don Bosco:

"Never read books you aren't sure about . . . even supposing that these bad books are very well written from a literary point of view. Let me ask you this: Would you drink something you knew was poisoned just because it was offered to you in a golden cup?"




To find more books by your favorite author, click on the author's name in the title...

Also, try searching by "historical fiction" if you're looking for novels at a certain time period...

Monday, March 16, 2009

MATH READING BOOKS

If this title caught your eye, you probably need these books. If your children are math whizzes who enjoy problem-solving and find math fascinating, skip this... I'll bet you're still reading!

My children do math worksheets only under duress. They read these following books at first because I made them, then because they were hooked (and didn't have to put pen to paper to learn math). While I can't guarantee your child will be like my non-mathematically inclined children who read these now out of pleasure...I can tell you that after a typical math assignment, telling them to read a chapter of a math book like one of these will look like fun.

In the bargain, they will learn math from the perspective of a math-loving author who knows how to write about math in an engaging, story-format that taps into the creative side of math for children who are strong language learners. I'm sure math whizzes would love them too, so if you've read this far and that's you and your children, go ahead and order them, too.

Rating: 3 Vatican Flags for all

The Number Devil, by Hans Magnus Enzensberger
Penrose the Mathematical Cat by Theoni Pappas
Life of Fred Series by Stanley Schmidt
Math Doesn't Suck by Danica McKellar

4 comments:

Mary in Cincinnati July 13, 2009 at 2:37 PM  

I found that my 7 year old math whiz loves Fred. He got very bored with worksheets. We found Fred and life has not been the same. Every night at dinner we get a recap of what happened to Fred that day. Interesting approach to math.

Tween Lit Crit July 13, 2009 at 3:11 PM  

It is interesting! I've heard people say these work for kids that either are quite literature-oriented, or just the opposite, are gifted in math.
Then, like my friend Joy has found, some children won't jump willingly into math no matter what. One of hers likes Teaching Textbooks.

Pam S.,  September 19, 2010 at 6:03 PM  

Have to admit, my children and I found "The Number Devil" boring.

Tween Lit Crit September 22, 2010 at 2:50 PM  

The fact that it is not a textbook no doubt influenced how interesting my children found The Number Devil. It wasn't a book they migrated to on their own; I did have to trade in the textbook for awhile.

Post a Comment

regina was here

  © Blogger templates Psi by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008