Saint John Don Bosco:

"Never read books you aren't sure about . . . even supposing that these bad books are very well written from a literary point of view. Let me ask you this: Would you drink something you knew was poisoned just because it was offered to you in a golden cup?"




To find more books by your favorite author, click on the author's name in the title...

Also, try searching by "historical fiction" if you're looking for novels at a certain time period...

Sunday, August 29, 2010

Classical Comics by UK Publishers

Great pieces of literature turned-into-graphic-novel form! It just might spell the end of intelligent life in the Western Literature. But… I suggest that this one signals a worthwhile beginning.

I mean, if the extent of my children’s experience with classical literature ended here, I would be distressed. Beginning here might be a perfect portal or addition.

For example, the only way around here that we could be more saturated with books is to move into the library. Yet, wonder-of-wonders, I have a non-reader. It baffles me daily. She’s drawn to graphic novels and comics. This very child, the only one who has to be assigned reading time instead of dragged away from books…. LIKES THESE.

You need no higher a recommendation. But I will go on.

These comics are quite a notch above the typical anime books for Teens that my little tween wants to read. I don’t have to cringe at the clothes or parts of the story line, except maybe, Frankenstein. But hey, you should know just what you’re getting in each of these. They are true to the original story and text. The artwork is remarkable and worthy of the quality of literature.

Heck, even Shakespeare would enjoy seeing a copy. So give them a try. Maybe they’ll please all kinds of readers in your house…

SAFETY RATING: 3 Flags

4 comments:

Nancy Piccione August 30, 2010 at 11:41 AM  

There are only 3 in our library system--Macbeth, Frankenstein and a Christmas Carol. Would you recommend any others in the series?

elm September 1, 2010 at 8:35 AM  

All three of my page turners enjoy comics/graphic novels!! Of course, it isn't something they do a whole lot of since there isn't much out there that is very good! (UH, Archie still exists with the big bosomed girls and goofy boys. Not so much for the 5 and 7 yr old who think it looks fun because there are 2 girls on the cover who could be a disney princess. But, I digress.) I would love to find these comics of the classics. Perhaps the libraries would have them?? Do you know any more about title/author/publisher/etc???

Tween Lit Crit September 1, 2010 at 4:59 PM  

Nancy: bummer. My library had Jane Eyre and Great Expectations, my favs. Frankenstein is a bit heavy and dark. That's more for a high-school guided study, IMHO.

Elm and Nancy: if you click on the UK Publishers in my title, it's linked to the publishers. They are coming out with new ones. Also, you CAN order there and it will ask which country? But... maybe Amazon is better? I have a great library, so I never had to order them, thank goodness.

Tween Lit Crit September 1, 2010 at 5:00 PM  

But, Nancy, I will add that my younger tween pronounced Great Expectations to be depressing, and between the orphan, Pip, and Ms. Haversham and her issues... she has a point! My 14 yr. old liked it much better...

Post a Comment

regina was here

  © Blogger templates Psi by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008