Saint John Don Bosco:

"Never read books you aren't sure about . . . even supposing that these bad books are very well written from a literary point of view. Let me ask you this: Would you drink something you knew was poisoned just because it was offered to you in a golden cup?"




To find more books by your favorite author, click on the author's name in the title...

Also, try searching by "historical fiction" if you're looking for novels at a certain time period...

Thursday, July 14, 2011

Flight of the Tiger Moth by Mary Woodbury

This is a likable story. I know that's not the highest praise, but it is true that I didn’t find it riveting. However, while it’s not likely to attract reluctant readers, I found it a worthwhile story.

Like all good historical fiction, it taught me interesting details from its setting which were painlessly assimilated through storytelling.

The Who, Where, and What: Jack is a young teen who lives in Canada at the advent of World War II. His small town hosts a new air force training base where Jack has landed a part-time job. He gets a chance to practice flying a couple of times when his sister’s fiancée and one of the trainees take him up.

Jack’s life over the course of the summer is the focus of the story. Lots of little conflicts combine to make up the rhythm of his summer. He finds a dog whose mother has been shot in the head. His mother won’t let him keep the puppy, but he keeps close to it by having the pilots take care of it. One of these pilots dies in a crash which happened frequently at the time. His sister’s fiancé goes missing in action and his sister is injured after her work as a battlefield nurse.

In the meantime, Jack has his first real crush, lands a plane in an emergency, deals with an over-protective mom, and finally gets his dog (but not the girl).

My favorite detail amongst all this is the development of the Tiger Moth airplane. Jack wants to design a better, safer plane rather than become a pilot.

Safe and solid storytelling.

SAFETY RATING: 3 Flags

2 comments:

Nancy Piccione July 21, 2011 at 9:51 AM  

Always looking for good titles that are new to us. Thanks for the review. I just this summer discovered Wendy Mass. My favorite so far is "Every Soul A Star"; a teen and a tween at our house also loved. I read her "11 Birthdays" yesterday and it's kind of like "Groundhog Day" with 11-year-old friends. Didn't love, but it wasn't terrible.

kim July 21, 2011 at 10:24 AM  

Hello Nancy!
I plan to post a review on every Soul a Star in the next 2 days! How coincidental... :)
I have the review 1/2 written; I just have to finish the last couple chapters... I am enjoying it! I was curious about her other books because I like this one...and I know I've heard about her, but I can't remember now where I've heard her name... I may check out other stories of hers when I've got the time... but I think Every Soul a Star might be the best..

Post a Comment

regina was here

  © Blogger templates Psi by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008