Saint John Don Bosco:

"Never read books you aren't sure about . . . even supposing that these bad books are very well written from a literary point of view. Let me ask you this: Would you drink something you knew was poisoned just because it was offered to you in a golden cup?"




To find more books by your favorite author, click on the author's name in the title...

Also, try searching by "historical fiction" if you're looking for novels at a certain time period...

Wednesday, February 24, 2010

A World Away: The Quest of Dan Clay by T.J. Smith

Dan Clay… Hooray!

Hooray for a clean and fun adventure story.

Hooray for a Catholic protagonist who’s realistic and admirable.

Hooray for a story with Catholic themes and references.

Hooray for a solid, clean, intriguing story.

Hooray for the loyalty, friendships, adventures, and interesting characters.

Hooray that the series runs for 3 books not just one.

Hooray for you for getting a copy.

SAFETY RATING: 3 Flags

2 comments:

elm March 14, 2010 at 9:44 PM  

I will have to look into getting THIS book!! my 8.5 year old read the ENTIRE Chronicles of Narnia series in 3 nights. That is too fast for me to keep up! I can't seem to get one magazine article read these days with too much on my plate lately with everything PLUS our newest little babe! So, I need good info for boys and books AOK to read!!

We had an acquaintance suggest a series and it is by David Eddings. It is "Book One of The Belgariad. Pawn of Prophecy." Do ya know anything about this series? One review states, "...the kind of fantasy I like. It has magic, adveture, humor, mystery, and a certain delightful human insight." Or do you know another sight that can tell me if the content of the book series is "Catholic-Friendly" for this not so new book - copyright 1982!!!

Tween Lit Crit March 15, 2010 at 3:43 PM  

elm,
Whoaaa.... and I thought my kiddoes were quick readers! I've got to find some other parents to help me make a group blog so we can keep up with these children of ours... Ok. I don't have a book review site for Pawn of Prophecy, but I'm on it. I always put parental requests on the top of my list. (esp. those I know and like :). ) (we're selling our house, so I'm reading slowly these days... I'll pick up)
Dan Clay might be a bit advanced for your 8.5 guy, (but might not... worth trying). My 10 yr. old is currently enjoying it. (it downloads more cheaply on Kindle, if you have one).
Did you try Gregor Overlander? It's not a Catholic author, but the first in the series was a safe read... and I'm still searching for lots of boy-reads.
I'm starting to re-read the Artemis Fowl series. That might be OK; I'll get back to you on it. I did let my oldest read it; she enjoyed it quite a bit, and I don't remember anything egregious.
Having trouble keeping up is a good problem to have, though!

Post a Comment

regina was here

  © Blogger templates Psi by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008